Legal and Administrative statusMenengai Forest Station covers a total area of 5,990 ha (L.R. No. 12228) and was first set aside under proclamation no. 44 of 1932. It was later gazetted under legal notice no. 174 of 20th May 1964 with a boundary plan no. 175/188. The greater portion of the gazetted forest totaling 4,561ha forms the caldera and it has been leased to Geothermal Development Company (GDC). The KFS and the Menengai Community Forest Association (MCFA) are the leading stakeholders for the remaining portion totaling 1,429 Ha.
The station is composed of one block known as Menengai block which has three beats. The beats are Nakuru and Satellite beats which cover the larger part of the high forest whereas Crater beat has little forest/vegetative cover as it’s mainly grassland, scattered bushes, lava rocks and forms the bottom of Menengai Caldera.